The overview contained in this article is a summary from Safe Work Australia. Safe design for any physical structure begins at the concept development phase. Hazard identification and risk assessment methods need to be integrated early into the design process to eliminate or minimise risks of injury throughout the life of a product. This applies to buildings, structures, equipment and vehicles.
Did you know?
- 188 work related fatalities from 2006-2011 were caused by unsafe design?
- 73% of all design related fatalities were from agriculture, forestry and fishing, construction and manufacturing industries.
The five principles of safe design are:
- Principle 1: Persons with control over design decisions.
- Principle 2: Safe design knowledge and capability
- Principle 3: Product lifecycle — eliminating hazards or minimising risks early in the lifecycle.
- Principle 4: Systematic risk management — apply hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control processes to achieve safe design.
- Principle 5: Effective communication and documentation of design and risk control.
The inherent benefits of safe design include:
- Prevention of injury (and disease)
- Improved useability of products, systems and facilities
- Improvement in productivity
- Reduction of costs
- Manageable operational costs over the lifecycle of a product
- Compliance with legislation
- Innovation - safe design demands new thinking.
Area Safe Products Pty Ltd design and manufacture many unique products, which is why safe design, safe product function and safe car parks & facilities are important to us. Area Safe design products include compliant speed bumps, bike parking, anti-terrorism bollards, anti-ram-raid bollards, parking bollards, modular hand rails, skateboard deterrents, retractable belt barriers and many other facilities safety products.
Contact Us today on 1300 889 821 to discuss your requirements.